Friday, November 4, 2011

Home again Home again...and some Halloween!

And then he came home!! Can we get a hallelujah chorus!!

When the kids saw him at the airport they ran and gave him a great big hug!  I wasn't sure how Sammy would react but he wiggled out of my arms and ran and wrapped his little arms around Mark's neck and laid his head on his shoulder and seriously did not move for 15 minutes.  It was very tender. 
We missed our daddy!


We spent Mark's week home just enjoying each others company.  We went for bike rides and runs along the river bottom
Hiked up to a very chilly grotto and had a picnic in the fall leaves of Payson Canyon.

snuggled
snuggled
and snuggled.

Joel and Angela watched the kids one night for us.  
We went and finally got life insurance (woot woot)
and then just went home and made dinner together. 
It was seriously awesome and I realized that I really
love doing stuff with my hubby. 
Um that sounded really ..... duh!
But I think I got a revelation (after 7yrs!) that while some girls like flowers, 
snuggles, or words of affirmation, (um..honey..I still like all those things too!!
that I like
working on projects with Mark.  Like working toward and running races together, doing yard work together etc.  I loved just being in the kitchen with him making our dinner.  It was the best part of the evening.  He had the menu all planned out and made us tortellini with prosciutto, Parmesan, buttercup squash and Pepita's. So good! except I couldn't find the Pepita's so we used hazelnuts.  (I may have found the Pepita's yesterday in the bottom of the freezer)  I made a spinach strawberry salad with candied almonds, red onions and poppy seed dressing.  It was delicious.

and romantic. :)

For FHE that week we got in some stellar pumpkin carvings.

And while we were singing the Halloween song some wily ghosts snuck some ghost food (muddy buddy's) into our fridge!
Wilson was so enthralled that we had to have a little family home evening lesson after on how it wasn't really ghosts but really it was a tricky papa.  And then it led into whether or not ghosts were real and we were able to give a sweet little lesson on the devil and his followers and the power of obedience and Jesus Christ.  It actually turned into a great teaching moment and the kids were right with us.  So grateful for the gospel!
Our ghost food with a note.
"To Zina, Wilson, and Sam. From the Ghosts. Don't be scared!"

We were also able to go to our very first PARENT/TEACHER conference! Wow.
Grandma came and tended the boys and it was so fun for both Mark and I to be there.  Can you tell Zina's the 1st child! :)  I am really loving how Zina's school is helping the kids take charge of their work. She came with us and was the one to show us what she's been working on and talk about her progress.  I have been a little concerned that her teacher hasn't really been pushing her. (her homework consists of learning the alphabet.. really!?)  Her teacher addressed that and said that Zina is the only one in her class who knows all of the sounds including short and long vowels and really should be reading. (Mark and I  exchanged knowing looks at this point..she read's scriptures with us every morning before school and reads words like behold and consciousness)  Her teacher admitted to being behind on pushing Zina because she has kids who are on the opposite end of the spectrum so hopefully we will see a little bit more action out of kindergarten now! (if not I guess we'll just keep reading the scriptures!)  Zina is the only one in her class who gets to start bringing reading books home from the library!  She was pretty excited about that. :)

Mark and Zina had a little Daddy/Daughter date one night because I was asked to be on a committee for our R.S Mother and Son's Halloween party.  It was a little stressful getting it all put together at the end but it turned out to be a great success. So much so that I had to call Mark for an emergency run for more pizza.  We had a great crowd and all the boys had fun bonding with their moms.  I felt a little bad that it wasn't really "bonding" time for me and Wilson and Sam, but I guess someones got to be in charge!
A monster, a doc, and a mummy!
Love these boys! 
Even if they do drive me completely crazy sometimes!

We made it to our first annual Thomas Halloween party. 

Where the kids all beat up on poor Aunt Trisha the angel.
My little vampire-ess.
The newest sweetest little Thomas - Marley Joel the ladybug.
And our only bit of Halloween with the resurrected Captain Hook!
He drove off Sunday morning to his next month long expedition in Tuscon.
:(


Aunty Liz came to hang out on Halloween night.  We had a quick and crazy dinner with Marilyn and kids and then they ran to their ward trunk'or'treat and Aunty Liz
 let Zina do her makeup for trick'or'treating. 
:)
My little monster, mummy, and vampire!
And it's always more fun if mom dresses up too!
Zina and her best bud Aidan at our ward trunk'or'treat.
Seriously needed some tips from our ward in AZ  We
 were just a little(or lot) disappointed. 
It's a good thing we got to trick or treat to Grandma's after to make up for it. 
And it was nice to catch Grandma's reaction too. :)

We went around to a couple of Grandma's neighbors and then to Uncle Travis's and then called it a night.  It was a good Halloween.  Great would have been to have our Papa with us but we'll take what we can get. :)
And Grandpa's pretty close. :)
The day after Halloween we headed back to Grandma's to do some more canning. Hurray for free apples because my kids were already going through the apple sauce so fast we only had 6 bottles left.
Funny story.  
Wilson was helping me with the strainer.  He was turning the wheel to make the applesauce while I was pushing the apples down.  All the sudden he paused, looked and me and said,"Mom will you turn the crank for awhile?  I have to go save the world!"
Then he jumped down and proceeded to "save the world."
Oh the imagination of a 4yr old!

I bought these costumes for the kids when they went on sale after halloween.  I think they have worn them everyday this week. :)
But I have to admit.  
I would have preferred to buy a "Captain Canada" costume instead.
:)

2 comments:

Charlotte, Mardy and Raven said...

great job on being creative for Halloween! I totally forgot to buy a pumpkin this year, I felt like a failure. Our ward trunk or treat was a little lame this year, usually they have a big party and spook house.

That is really great that Zina is already reading so well. Raven is learning cursive in school! I couldn't believe it. She loves school but already hates homework, which she has every night!

jeremy and steph said...

Great updates Becca! Since Mark is in Tucson I think you guys should definitely come visit Glendale ;) K, your Halloween costume=scary...seriously!
Hope this crazy year is going well for you guys. Seriously, this year is CraZy! Are you going to check out any of the residencies with Mark? You're kids are cute and I can't believe Zina can read that well...that is awesome! My sis was without her two front teeth for a couple of years (she ran into a candy machine at the grocery store...) anyway, love the look, it is adorable :)