Saturday, August 16, 2014

Nauvoo

This past summer we made a couple of whirlwind trips to Nauvoo to visit Grandma Judy on her mission.  I love Nauvoo.  I felt overwhelmed many times during these trips with the spirit of Nauvoo.  The sacrifice and faith of those who have gone before.  How great was their faith!  Nauvoo is still a beautiful place and we couldn't help but reflect on how heartbreaking it must have been for the Saints to leave their Zion, martyred Prophet, and temple behind as they made a trek across the country to who knows where.  But they knew that God knew where they were going and so they trusted in that.  I guess that is what we all do at certain times in our lives when darkness clouds the view.  Learn to trust that God knows where we are going and let that carry us through.  I am so grateful for the strength of my ancestors.  I hope that I can carry on their legacy by trusting in God, sacrificing when sacrifice is needed, and building up the kingdom of God where ever I am called to do that.


This might be my kids favorite place in all of Nauvoo.  Cousin Helen's Custard shop.  (they really call her Cousin Helen and I think it's cute)
Annie's Custard.  Can't beat it. :)
p.s. loving Wilson's smile....


Oh wait, Helen's zip line might actually be their favorite place.
It's a toss up!




 Hyrum and Joseph on the temple hill looking over the "happiest place" before heading to Carthage.
 Waiting for Grandma and Papa to get out of their session.
5 things I love with all my heart in this picture!

 The family living center!  Brother Randy Broadhead from Raymond showed us how to make a rope and told us how strong families can be like strong ropes.  All the little pieces working together. :)

 Pioneer past times. :)
 Did I mention I love Nauvoo?  My kids can ride their bikes down the middle of the street without worrying about cars.  This country girl stuck in the city can breathe!
 My biggest kid. :)
 Families Are Forever

We made it back to Nauvoo after our trip to Canada and saw the British Pageant and the Nauvoo Pageant. Love them both!
 The Women's Gardens


 Playing battleship in Grandma's little kitchen.
Who needs toys when you've got an imagination!
 Braided headbands. :)
 Pioneer toys and really cute boys. :)
 Heading out for the Salt Lake Valley!

 Just about showtime.
 I think we'd make the cut.. :)
 On Sunday we made it up to the old Nauvoo cemetery. 
I love cemeteries.  So beautiful, and peaceful.
  Zina Huntington is buried somewhere in this cemetery.
Many of the graves have no markers and lots of them are children that died in those first years when malaria and other diseases were so bad from the swamps.


Zina got real mad at her dad while we were here and so after Mark and Grandma Judy headed back to the vehicle with Davey I gathered my 3 oldest on the grass with me and sang "I am a Child of God" to them - trying to get that peaceful feeling back.  I hope they felt the Spirit like I did.  


No comments: