Friday, July 11, 2008

July First

I have now experienced July first from both ends.  A Canadian waiting for the Americans to come double the town's population, and get started with reunions, parades etc. and an American coming to enjoy small town Raymond, family and festivities.  Which is better? Well, my opinion might be biased since I was raised this way but I like it from the Canada side.  It's amazing to live in this little podunk town all year long without anything happening and then see it's transformation on July 1st weekend.  The anticipation in town is almost tangible. 
I love it.  
It was so fun to see Mark's side of the family and hang out bbq'n at Uncle Denny & Aunt Kay's. Good food (Dionne's baked beans were to die for), good company (even the Hutterites couldn't resist the party out back!), lots of laughs, music, dancing, (Uncle Denny has got some sweet moves) all made this years July 1st one for the records.  We had fun visiting with the McInelly clan at Grandpa Bill's & I really loved meeting some new Canadian Rolfson cousins that I hadn't met before.  It gave me this weird feeling that my little family was soon to be the American side coming up to visit them - the Canadian side.  Huh.  I still feel weird about that.  It made me wonder if I would ever feel American.  Maybe in forty years.

Zina had been counting down the weeks until Kate arrived.  
She was beyond excited.
Marilyn keeping the kiddos happy.
Kate, Zina, & Wade
Randy and Dionne show'n everybody up.

Uncle Denny bust'n a guitar move.
Zina and Kate doing the twist & holding hands 
 (which I think they did the whole time Kate was here.)
Wilson was all over the candy that Zina got from the parade.
I bought the kids Canada shirts and, unintentionally, wore white - Oh Canada!
 Mark, thought I was making a statement.  He borrowed a shirt from my brother just to ensure that we were in red, white & blue. :)
The Thomas Clan. Raymond Parade.  July 1, 2008
Traditional July 2nd trip to Waterton. We love ICECREAM!

Hiking to Akamina lake.  The kids + Trisha had fun wading through the creek.  
It was about 7 p.m. but absolutely gorgeous out.
Cameron Lake
Kate and Zina on the Prince of Wales Hotel overlook.

1 comment:

Angela said...

Well, it's pretty cool of you to let us American's come crash your party every now and then! It was fun to do a little grocery shopping with you, and I'm sad I didn't get to come see the whole family...maybe I'll be up again in 6-7 years?