Thursday, March 19, 2009

Is it worth mentioning?

Every Sunday evening I sit down and write a letter to my brother Mark who is on a mission in California.  It's sort of a family update for my whole family because we all write on our family website and then my mom compiles all the letters and sends them to him.  Almost always  I sit down and think, "What on earth did I do this week?  What did I do that is worth mentioning?" 

A little make believe.
This is our boat (boat because we were fighting dragons to the soundtrack of Pirates of the Caribbean).  Every time Wilson brandished his wisk-  I mean sword - he would yell, "Hiya, hiya hiya"  
We made play dough and then kneaded the colors into it, which was pretty cool,  even for me.
We redesigned the kitchen table with shaving cream - which we also added food coloring to.  This is a favorite past time of Zina's after living with Grandma Nancy.
(sorry it's sideways)

Ran through the new sprinkler.


In our clothes of course (ok, I personally didn't do this although know that I think about it - why the heck not?)
Planted a little salsa garden.
Swung in the hammock
And ate some delicious icecream.



  I've been wondering lately if I'm doing my part and being the best I can be at whatever I am.   I think that one of the most important things I can do for my kids is to spend time with them, playing, connecting, imagining, laughing.  Why is make believe so hard sometimes?  Why do we lose that gift that comes so easily to children?  This week I made a goal to do better.  It went ok.  Next week will be better.  

And just a personal experiment on my part - It seems that when I spend time with my kids doing what they want to do their behavior is 100% better.  Even when it's time for the activity to end.   I think it's called, "time in" instead of "time out."

5 comments:

munyer jerk chicken said...

you'll need to write a parenting book one day, becca! thank you for the insight. i love the "time in" idea.

i just got all caught up on your blog. it's amazing how different your pictures are than ours at this time of year! i love your desert pics. did you know that ziya's middle name is sonora??

give zina and wilson big hugs from me.

The Lowry's said...

I totally agree with the time in. So true, so true
It so looks like fun, and I am dying for summer to come and you seem to already have it. Yes, I am jealous....

Brenbren said...

Becca you are my hero! I am glad that I get to hang out with you for the next 3 years. Maybe you will rub off on me. I have noticed when Adam is being naughty or mean to his sister, he really just wants me to notice him.

britni jean said...

becca, you are such a great mom! zina and wilson are so lucky! i'm jealous that you are running through the sprinklers in march.

Criscell said...

Seriously, I have to echo the above comment--YOU ARE THE BEST MOM!! I am so impressed with all the awesome things you do with your kids--and I can take a lesson from it. Thanks for reminding me that I can do better.