Friday, August 13, 2010

Somethin' to blog about...

Well, according to Mark it had to be done, and I'm not going to lie - it was no easy thing.   I was hoping I could just check that little box that said I would renounce any loyalty to any foreign sovereignty.  Nope, they made me (along with 96 others from 34 different countries)  raise my right hand and swear it under God.  Just thinking about it gives me a big knot in my chest.  An unpleasant knot.  It's a good thing Canada still loves me and accepts me as a Canadian because otherwise I don't think I could have followed through.   But look how proud my husband is.  His little Canadian wifey is an American Citizen.  



And now I've got to learn the Star Spangled Banner...
and teach my kids to not wave the American flag while 
singing "Oh, Canada my home and native land"

and I'm working on getting rid of pride in all areas of my life.  It's obviously a work in progress.

6 comments:

Charlotte, Mardy and Raven said...

Congratulations Bec! I hope to pick up my 3rd nationality someday but will always be truly Canadian. I don't think pride in ones country is a bad thing. This will make things a lot easier for you living there.

Charlotte, Mardy and Raven said...

Oh and Mardy wants to know if the rumours are true...that they give you a gun when you join up. He's asking me about the calibre.

Rachel Chick said...

Welcome to American citizenship, Becca! Congrats. We're happy to have you join us, but I can understand that it must have been a somewhat difficult thing for you. I can't imagine renouncing my loyalty to the USA. I hope that's not heartless for me to say and it doesn't make you feel bad! I'm glad that Canada still recognizes you! :) But I'm truly are glad that you're here with us! Love you!

Charlotte, Mardy and Raven said...

Oh Bec, remind Mark that I married a guy from Taber. That should clear up any remaining arguments.

RayHome said...

Becca,
Your Grt Grt Grandpa Keeler,Fairbanks, Bates, Williams, Jensen, all would be proud of you....they gave a lot to help tame the old west, and were all American's. Canada is such a new country that your ancestors were probably in America longer than we have been in Canada. Your 7th or 8th Grt Uncle THomas Keeler was a Patriot....that means he fought in the War of Independence. WHich is pretty cool!!!

Mat and Bri McInelly said...

Congratulations Becca! You will always be Canadian...but the U.S. (and your US citizen babies) welcome you with open arms!