Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Experiment


The other day Mark got off early in the afternoon.  He was trying to study (in the playroom?) for his surgery shelf exam so I was trying to think of things to keep the kids entertained and not disrupting him.  I decided it was school time. This isn't new.  It happens periodically around here.  This day we hunted around the house for things that started with the letter "F" (I had pre-planted labels here and there).  Wilson pointed out the letters for us and Zina read the words.  We did a few other things and then we started a science experiment on density.  This was really fun.  It was so fun that Mark just could not let us alone.  I sort of figured this would happen :)  We started with colored water and oil.  We learned some new words like density and immiscible.  And Wilson who LOVES to stir things stirred and stirred and stirred and stirred but they just wouldn't mix.  The kids that that was pretty cool.

Then we took it up a notch.   We started with honey - which (talk about GROSS) a big fat fly came out of the honey pot when we poured it into that glass.  Just thinking about it gives me the heeby geebys.  (Promise I threw ALL the rest of the honey away)
And the fly actually made the experiment that much cooler. 
Ok

Honey
dishsoap
water (colored red)
oil
rubbing alcohol (colored green)

actual instructions found HERE

I poured the rubbing alcohol in a little to fast so it did start the mix but it was really cool to see the different liquids all sitting there on top of each other.  And then the fly who started out at the bottom slowly started to float through everything to the top.  The kids were FASCINATED!



 Then Wilson who just couldn't quench the desire to stir gave a big whirl and we set it on top of the hutch to see what would happen.  


It was a fun little experiment that I highly recommend to anyone with kids.  


Then Mark went back to studying and we started making cheesecake for our family home evening treat. (Wilson was in charge of the treat and that is what he picked - Lauri's cheese cake with raspberry's. Yum!)



I just had to take this picture because I had a moment of, "I can't believe I have to pull up 3 chairs because I have 3 helpers!" Where has the time gone!

1 comment:

The Lowry's said...

I love how the chairs get progressively bigger as each child gets younger. cute